Add fulltext search functionality to ActionApps search and combine it with database search
Progress: new | Priority:20
Although ActionApps can perform database searches well (i.e. a query like all news from category "C", between years 2003 - 2004 regarding region "R", it lacks fulltext search (i.e. simply search for "dog food", i don't care which fields it appears in, just put the most accurate results on top)
I belive a great (in fact a dream) search functionality could be achieved by combining those two approaches into ine integrated system. Here is how it would work:
- Imagine slice full of records. There would be a special view exporting all the records as a simple easy to index page with the more important fields towards the top and in appropriate <meta tags.
- A fulltext search engine that comes integrated into AA package (let's say Mnogosearch) periodically indexes the content of this slice by indexing each item using the special view from above
- Mnogosearch remembers item IDs
- Simple fultext serch box
- Returns the results sorted by rank, displayed and paginated probabaly by some AA view
- Search term highligting
- Uses Title for the title ( a bit like google does)
- Click on the title brings one to the full text of the item. There must be a way of expressing where the page with fulltext.
Combining the two:
- It shoudl be possible to create a search form which will allow to combine both types of searches together. This means that you can restrict the search domain by a certain criteria applied to various fields: news from category "C", between years 2003 - 2004 regarding region "R" and the search for "Dog food" fulltext style >>ONLY WITHIN<< the records satisfying the condition above.
- I suggest looking at PHP API for mnogosearch
Why we need: Speed of searching, improve usability, competitive advantage
EIN.org.uk for their database of legal cases, but they would only pay after it's ready and only if they like it
Hourse required: 80 - 100
Written By Marek Tichy ( marek at ecn.cz)
Last edit: Aug 11 2005
ActionApps is a free software content management system initiated by
the Association for Progressive Communications (APC)
APC - Internet and ICTs for social justice and development